Thursday, April 14, 2011

What can I teach myself?

          The thing that makes youtube so amazing is the amount of people that contribute. It was recorded in 2009 that youtube received 123 million views in a day. In 2009 it was also recorded that there was over 300 Million youtube accounts. The mass amount of people who use this site is astonishing. The raw data that can be formed into information is unimaginable. Roughly 6% of youtube is educational.


          The first thing you want to figure out is what you're wanting to learn. Obviously there is multiple things you can do with youtube but I'm trying to focus on education. Do you want to learn a language, a trade, a musical instrument, maybe you just want to practice up on your high school math. All of this is possible.

          I like science, a lot! So lets start with that topic. The universe was always this topic I felt I should know about, but I never had many people who were interested in spouting off about what they learning in their astronomy class, let alone friends in an astronomy class. I had so much trouble when I started and it's an easy topic to find information on. So I have a few tips to help everyone along. Try and find a channel, a TV series, or even a famous individual within your chosen field of knowledge. I knew of a show on TV called "The Universe" I had barely caught this show one late night while watching TV. I started off searching on planets in our galaxy not getting towards what I wanted. So i decided to search for this TV show. Straight away I got full episodes, clips, snips, everything I could want. I watched their episodes religiously but still wanted to find more and more. This is where a huge key feature of youtube comes into hand, "related videos". You can trail in so many directions that the knowledge to learn from 1 series increases exponentially. When looking through related videos you find rubbish, and you find geniuses. They come in all shapes and forms, but with trial/error, you get to the right ones. You can learn from images, titles, knowledge learned along the way to decipher.

          Remember to favorite videos you like, repeatedly watch videos to try and get as much information as possible, create a playlist. Anything you can to get this data in your head. I fall asleep almost every night to a different documentary. These little things can get anything stuck in your head.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, possibly your most interesting post yet!

    I also love watching documentaries on youtube. I love anything to do with animals!

    Keep up up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted to post something to YouTube, but I run into the overall problem of being a horrible video editor. XD

    ReplyDelete